It’s a luxury safari lodge, situated in the Ruhija sector of Bwindi national park, just a few minutes’ drive from the Gorilla Trekking meeting point.
Its 8 h 42 min (459.5 km) via Masaka Rd and Kabale - Mbarara Rd.
Built on the top of a beautiful valley overlooking Bwindi forest, Bakiga lodge is a wonderful accommodation for visitors looking for a real African experience with great views of Bwindi impenetrable forest.
They are a nonprofit safari lodge – part of the Bakiga Community Project
– a registered NGO in Uganda and a registered charity in the UK.
They offer warm African service and fantastic food.
The Lodge offers 6 family Cabins and 2 twin tents, all self-contained with ensuite bathrooms and spectacular views.
Relax in comfort around the fire or at the bar after your Gorilla Trek or bird watching tour.
WIFI internet is available at the lodge.
They work across Kabale district to help communities’ access safer water. Our staff would be delighted to chat to you about the water development work we do. All profits of Bakiga Lodge are used to finance the water projects.
It’s an Eco Lodge because the trees used to construct Bakiga Lodge were sourced locally in Ruhija, from sources that will regrow.
Impact on the environment:
They collect all water from rain harvesting tanks at the lodge. This water is used for the client showers, flushing toilets, and washing bedding, cooking and cleaning the lodge.
They currently have 9 water harvesting tanks at the lodge. All flush toilets and showers are connected to septic tanks, to avoid polluting the ground.
All power comes from solar panels on the roof of the lodge. Generators pollute with fumes and noise.
The steep grounds of the lodge have been terraced and planted to help avoid soil erosion.
Gorilla Trekking -The Gorilla groups in Ruhija are the Bitukura or Oruzogo guerilla groups
- Bird Viewing Tours
- Guided hikes in the Forest
- Guided walk to the famous Mubwindi Swamp in Bwindi Forest
- Forest walks
- Relax and take in the breathtaking views at the lodge
- Performances of dance and song by local children
- Community based activities: Dancing, crafts, singing, visiting the trading centre
- Bakiga Lodge is an ideal venue for retreats and conferences
- Bakiga Community Project also offers the opportunity of working on community water projects across Kabale district.